“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Rumi
How often have you tried to make a change only to have your successes erode over time? Ever made a New Year’s Resolution and not even had the motivation to start? Have you begun a project with colleagues only to undermine your own best efforts?
Welcome to Human Race!
We say we want to change; but change is difficult and frustrating. Is there something wrong with us? NO. We’re just working against ourselves. We rely on will power to change rather than inquiring into our compelling reasons not to change. Our most noble desires for self improvement are often frustrated by self-protective commitments hidden below our awareness. The tools of Transformational Inquiry invite us to gently investigate those hidden commitments, hold them in the light of awareness, and invite them to change.
Transformational Inquiry is paradoxical, counter-intuitive and grounded in the world’s spiritual traditions. I call it Crazy Wisdom. In my new book, Crazy Wisdom: Tools for Transforming Consciousness, I develop a spectrum of practices that will gently challenge the hidden beliefs that keep you trapped in patterns you’d rather change. Here’s an overview of the paradoxical wisdom that can change your life:
Judgments reveal nobility.
Blame inspires hope.
Fear will set you free.
You always lose the war with your mind.
Rationality is a delusion.
What you resist persists.
Your body never lies.
Love your enemy . . . really.
And the granddaddy of them all: DON’T FIX ANYTHING!
For 12 years I have led individuals and small groups through Transformational Inquiry in my faith context. I have seen all kinds of personal and collective change. I am now taking this work more broadly into the world. If you would like to learn about lectures, workshops and trainings contact me here .
Tom is the first person we have invited to train Immunity to Change™ facilitators for a specific context, and we have every confidence in his ability to stay true to the core of Immunity to Change™ while adapting it to faith communities. We are absolutely delighted that Tom has decided to offer this program and enthusiastically recommend this training! You are in for a huge treat. Robert Kegan, Lisa Lahey
Tom Thresher’s Transformational Inquiry is a superb practice for exposing and transforming the core assumptions that run–and sometimes ruin–your life. Incredibly effective and easy to practice, I can unconditionally recommend this work. Ken Wilber
- Video of Tom leading Collective Inquiry with his church.
- Video describing Transformational Inquiry as a tool for Sustaining Social Justice efforts.
- Short video of Robert Kegan leading Immunity to Change
- Discussion of the challenges churches and other faith communities present for the Immunity to Change process. Immunity to Change in Progressive Faith Communities
- Overview of Transformational Inquiry and some applications in faith contexts: Transformational Inquiry…Practical Spirituality for the 21st Century
- Churches leading the evolution of human consciousness: Progressive Churches to the Rescue
- Keeping the Poor with Us. Sermon by Tom